Eagles humble Nomads

  • May 6, 2019
  • no responses.

Be Forward Wanderers on Sunday suffered their second successive defeat after going down 1-3 to Blue Eagles in a TNM Super League match at Kamuzu Stadium in Blantyre.

Part of the action between Wanderers and Eagles.

Eagles now lead the 16-team log table with 11 points from five games, two points ahead of second-placed Civil Sporting Club, who have played three matches.

The result also means Eagles have registered their first triumph in the top-flight league against Wanderers in three seasons as the last time they beat the Nomads was in 2016 with a 2-1 victory.

The Nomads remain 12th with three points from two games, having won their first match 5-0 against Mzuni FC.

Fresh from their 0-1 loss to Silver Strikers in the quarter-final first leg of the Airtel Top 8 a week earlier at the same venue, the Nomads were hoping to recover and bring back the smiles on the faces of their faithful, but the Lilongwe-based cops showed no mercy.

After a goalless first half, the Malawi Police Service (MPS) side waited for the right moment to strike in the second half in which they suffocated the Lali Lubani Road outfit.

The pep talk delivered by coach Deklerk Msakakuona and his backroom staff at half-time remains firmly in classified category, but there was renewed purpose in Eagles’ play
and Maxwell Munthali drew first blood in the 49th minute from a rebound following a well-curled corner-kick from captain Mecium Mhone.

From then on, the Lilongwe-based outfit turned on the heat and five minutes later it was Gregory Nachipo’s turn from a counter-attack.

The Nomads pulled one back in the 62nd minute through Misheck Botomani who ghosted in to score with a header from a goal melee following a well-taken corner kick by substitute Richard Rapson.

But just when they felt to be on the right path to getting an equaliser, Kuwali restored Eagles’ two-goal lead a minute later.

At the dot of full time,, Wanderers were awarded a penalty following a foul on dangerously advancing Zicco Mkanda who stepped up  for the spot-kick, but it was kept out by Eagles’ goalkeeper John Soko. 

In another Super League match on Sunday, Dwangwa United were held to a three-all draw by Masters Security at Chitowe Ground in Dwangwa, Nkhotakota.

On Saturday Nyasa Big Bullets beat Ntopwa FC 4-1.

The defending champions had no problem dismissing the newly promoted outfit in a one-sided affair which saw man of the match Dalitso Sailesi, Gomezgani Chirwa, Chiukepo Msowoya and Nelson Kangunje scoring a goal each.

Bangwe-based Ntopwa scored their consolation through Josaya Duwa.

Blue Eagles drew 0-0 with Mighty Tigers at Mulanje Park.

In another games
, Kamuzu Barracks hurt Silver late in the game with a Marshal Maluwa 82nd minute strike to register their first win of the season.

Leave a Reply